What is system design and why it is necessary?
System Design, every developer in the world came through this term before developing architecture or design for software.
System design is the process of designing the elements of a system such as the architecture, modules, and components, the different interfaces of those components, and the data that goes through that system.
The purpose of the System Design process is to provide sufficient detailed data and information about the system and its system elements to enable the implementation consistent with architectural entities as defined in models and views of the system architecture.
Major Tasks Performed During the System Design Process
Initialize design definition.
- Plan for and Identify the technologies that will compose and implement the systems elements and their physical interfaces.
- Determine which technologies and system elements have a risk to become obsolete or evolve during the operation stage of the system. Plan for their potential replacement.
- Document the design definition strategy, including the need for and requirements of any enabling systems, products, or services to perform the design.
Establish design characteristics
- Define the design characteristics relating to the architectural characteristics and check that they are implementable.
- Define the interfaces that were not defined by the System Architecture process that need to be defined as the design details evolve.
- Define and document the design characteristics of each system element.
Assess alternatives for obtaining system elements
- Assess the design options.
- Select the most appropriate alternatives.
- If the decision is made to develop the system element, the rest of the design definition process and the implementation process are used. If the decision is to buy or reuse a system element, the acquisition process may be used to obtain the system element.
Manage the design
- Capture and maintain the rationale for all selections among alternatives and decisions for the design, architecture characteristics.
- Assess and control the evolution of the design characteristics.